Monday, January 17, 2005

Superstitions

Sure everyone has superstitions of some sort, knocking on wood, crossing their fingers, or anything else that you could think of. I used to also. Until I saw Touched by an Angel a week ago Sunday. It was a pretty touching episode, most of them are. One of the guests this week was actually diagnosed with Lukemia and she was dying. Monica, one of the main "angels" was telling her something along the following lines. I am not sure if I will get it word for word, actually I know I won't get it word for word but you will get the point.
Monica was telling the woman how she finds it interesting that the woman puts her faith into superstitous things like crossing her fingers and knocking on wood, but yet when the time matters, which is now, she doesn't put her faith in the only thing that is true. She needs to put her faith in God because He isn't jsut a gimic and He will help her along this road if only she puts her faith in God like she does with the superstiotions.
(I hope you get what I am saying here.)
I find it funny. Every since that show I have been thinking, what do I put my faith in? I cross my fingers and hope that I may get this new job. I can cross my fingers until I can't feel them anymore yet if it is not God's will to have me at this new job, as hard as it may be for me to accept, it won't happen. This last week I have found myself stepping back and no longer crossing my fingers that I get this job. I do hope that it is God's will that it will happen but I will not get my hopes too high. I don't know what He has in store for me and all the finger crossing and knocking on wood won't change that. I find myself slowly starting to trust God and not put my faith in things that don't exist.
It sure makes one think "What am I putting my faith and trust into? Is it worth my effort or do I need to sit down and think of what faith really is?"

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'll admit I do the superstition thing too. Killing a spider means rain. Four leaf clovers are good omens....although I am Irish; I've got an excuse on that one. And finding a penny on the road brings you good luck for the rest of the day. But I like thinking that God is smiling down upon us when the sun comes through all the clouds on a rainy day.

Miss-buggy said...

When I was younger, I think to understand death, I actually thought that angels were coming down to earth on those sun beams that burst through the clouds on those dark rainy days. I know it may sound silly and stupid, but that is really what I believed. Then someone laughed at me and I started keeping stuff like that to myself.