Friday, November 19, 2004

T'is the Season

Now this may make me sound like I am a real scrooge; but contrary to what follows, I really do love Christmas. Except for:
1) the long line ups
2) grumpy shoppers that push past you in such a hurry you think Christmas is tomorrow
3) busy parking lots
4) long line ups
5) kids screming so loud because they want to be there as much as they want a tooth pulled
6) christmas inflation of prices
7) the pressure of finding the "perfect" girft
8) thinking you are all done then remembering that one person you saw last Christmas
9) arguing over who gets to go to moms for christmas this year

When did Christmas get so out of hand? What ever happened to the story of Christmas? What about just getting together for the company rather than the fact that it is Christmas and you should have so and so over at least once this year. I do wish that it could just be about watching a child's eyes light up at the sight of a christmas tree or seeing santa and wanting to make sure they get to sit on that ever popular knee. I am looking forward to watching my best friend's little girl grow up and showing her what christmas is supposed to be about for real. I can't wait to see her eyes sparkle when she looks up at the christmas tree or when I can see the smile on her little face as she is all bundled from the bitter cold waiting for the end of the parade so she can see santa. I can't wait for her to know about the meaning of christmas and why it is so celebrated even though it may have been lost over the centuries.
I think that christmas is really starting to get out of hand. I like to do it for the kids. Having dinner with family and being around those that help to retell the story of Christ.
So I say BAH HUMBUNG to all the hustle and bustle that seems to be Christmas, although I am a part of that crazy crowd. I know that my eyes still sparkle and dance at the sight of the bright lights and yes I still do get so excited that I can't sleep and I am sick to my stomach, but I think it is all due to the fact that I am going to be with those that I care about. (and you still have to have the heart in your throat that there just might be snow when you wake up christmas morning.)
So be brave and go into the abyss we call the mall this year and remember something that I almost forgot. It isn't about how great the gift may or may not be, it's the thought. Remember that love is all you really need and don't forget the real reason we celebrate.
So Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

No comments: