Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In the Quiet stillness

I am sitting here at my computer. The air around me is so still and so quiet. The rain is pitter pattering outside. My son is asleep. The two sounds I love to hear. The falling rain and my son breathe. The air is heavy with stillness. The fridge buzzes and hums not to be out done by the computer. The darkness of the day requiring me to actually use the electricity. The safeness, the warmth, the security, the dryness of having a roof over my head does not go unnoticed. The provider of this does not go unnoticed either. He silently provides what I need.
My son breaks the stillness with a shrill cry. Going to his aid only to realize that he is still asleep yet he still cries. Picking him up and holding him in my arms I whisper, "shhh...it's ok. Mommy is here." He calms down and slips back into that deep sleep again. The warmth of Mommy and the voice provide that security that he needed. The reassurance.
As I lay him back down in the crib and slowly kiss his cheek while covering him back with the blanket to keep him warm I realize something. I just provided what my son needed. I did for him what God has been doing for me. In my scared, lonely, confused moments He comes in to pick me up and hold me close to Him. All the while whispering, "it's alright. I've got you. I Am here." Then calming me enough to gently and gracefully put me back down on my feet. Only to continue whispering to me through verses. Through actions. Through my son.
My son needed me. I needed the Son.
I was there for my Son. The Son was there for me.
Providing the love and security that my little boy needs is what God is doing for me. Step by step, day by day. When I am weak He will carry me.
So back to the quiet stillness. The warmth I feel wash over me as I sit here and close my eyes. Knowing that I am safe. That I am loved. Straining to listen to those silent whispers. Those words He needs me to hear.


There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

-Anais Nin


I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber not sleep.

The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

1 comment:

James Goudie said...

In a secret, in a quiet place
In the stillness you are there
in a secret, in the quiet hour I wait only for you cause ... I want to know you more.

I want to know you
I want to hear your voice
I want to know you more

I want to touch you
I want to see your face.
I want to know you more.