Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I was scared

I think it has been a little while! I have been wanting to post but at the same time finding myself incapable of looking up at the screen.
Like many other people in this world the last couple of days I have been suffering from a migrane. I haven't had it this bad since March of last year. Sent me to the hospital on Monday night. I have spent the last two days in bed and am still in bed today with little spurts out. If you know me, you know that this means business. I usually don't like to stay in bed that long, let a lone indoors that long. Have to get out a bit. I can't look at the screen long so I am looking down at the keyboard just so that I can blog. I am hoping that today I might be able to sit outside for a bit.
As the morning starts I feel pretty good. Then the more that I am up the worse it may get. Which is what happened this morning. So I went right back to bed.
The reason I was scared are many. I don't take headaches that feel this severe lightly. My family has a history of brain aneurysms. I had phoned the public health nurse to ask for some guidance on Monday evening. After hearing the symptoms and the fact that I am 30 plus weeks pregnant she told me that I need to go into the hospital. That scared me. Is baby ok?
So I went up to the hospital. Phil drove, obviously, and he literally had to hold my waist and guide me cause I couldn't look up due to the light sensitivity. I had to keep my eyes closed.
As we waited to get checked in I swear God sent me an angel. I looked up enough to open my eyes a little and saw a little girl standing there looking at me with wide eyes. Beautiful little blonde girl, probably about eight years old. She had in front of her a wheelchair. I looked past her to see mom standing there with a smile on her face. The little girl looked from me to the chair then back to me again. I asked, "is that for me?" and without a word she nodded her little head and pushed it towards me. I said, "thank you sweetheart." She just walked back to her mom as I sat down and Phil took the handles. I will never forget the innocence on that little face.
Then I finally got to check in. The next thing I knew we were sitting waiting when a nurse came up to me and handed me some forms and told me that they were sending me up to maternity. Sending me to the triage up there. I looked at Phil and started to cry. Crying and migranes DO NOT MIX!
I always thought that if the baby was to come early that I would be fine with it. I was born six weeks early, weighing just 3lbs 8oz. and I am now fine. So with the advancement of technology I figured that our little one would be fine. I just looked at Phil with tears in my eyes and said it was too soon. Not 10 weeks early. When we got to the maternity floor I was still upset. I whispered it is too early to the nurse. She said, "yes it is. But we are just going to monitor you and the baby. When headaches come on so fierce like this we like to make sure that baby and mom are ok." That eased me a bit.
So they hooked us up. Thankfully baby was fine. So was mommy. Blood pressure was good. Baby was active. All signs pointed to good. Except the head pain. With there not being much I am allowed to take being pregnant and having allergies they opted to give me a shot of Demeral. That helped. They also gave me something to sleep.
I can tell you that I was very scared for the baby. He was my main concern. The pain didn't matter. I went into what I thought of as "Mommy mode". My husband sitting beside me holding my hand, praying. He is such a great support to me and baby. I am so thankful for him.
The pain today is off and on. As a matter of fact this being one of many attempts to finish this blog I find that I am done. No longer able to look at the screen or hold my head up. I just want to go outside. Even if it is just for a little bit. Sigh...
Thank you God that the baby is fine. That I will be fine. Thank you also to all those who prayed for me. It meant more then you will ever know.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Its amazing that your ok. Hospitals are scary places. I'm glad to know your back home, and that your baby is fine too. I hope you feel 100% better soon.