Thursday, March 02, 2006

What the heck was that!

This morning I woke myself up by screaming and clutching my leg. It took me only a second to realize what was going on as I cried and rolled. My left leg for some reason decided to seize. Right from the base of my heel right up the calf muscle to just below my knee. I couldn't move. It woke Phil too. As you can imagine a screaming person waking almost anyone. So I clutched my leg and Phil tried to grab it. He kept telling me to relax. I couldn't, I tried. The pain was incredible. He eventually got me to relax enough that he could touch it and try to massage it out.
He worked on it for what seemed like forever. Every touch sent a single to my brain that made me cry out. Thankfully though he didn't give up. He massaged it out to the point that it finally didn't hurt so bad and I was calming down. I felt bad for the poor guy. He had another half hour to sleep before he went to work (yes, so far he has work today) and here is a crazy woman next to him just yelling.
It is still pretty painful and I am trying to do stretches to help it. But man! What was that all about! Wonder why I all of a sudden woke up with it. Man! Throbbing still. I can barely walk or lay down. I think I am going to put some heat on it. I just am curious as to what would have caused that and what I can do to make sure it won't happen again. Anyone know??

7 comments:

Sue said...

hey, if that's the first time you've ever experienced that you've done well. I get them if I'm not drinking enough milk, but I know that's not your problem.

Michelle said...

Although I never got them I've heard leg cramps are quite common in pregnancy. They can be caused by lack of calcium, but as Sue said I don't think that could be our problem. I hope that's your only one!

liz said...

magnesium is a big key in the leg cramps and restless legs, I take magnesium in a powder form you mix with boiling water and drink before bed every night. works wonderful, not sure if you can take it while pregnant. email me if you want to details.

Miss-buggy said...

I hope that it doesn't come back. I think I will eat a banana before bed tonight!! hehehe.
I have been limping all day!

cari said...

I get them now and again, the best thing I found to do is get up into a standing position immediately (hard to do sometimes when you've been woken up out of a sound sleep), the cramp eases faster, the throbbing will last a while, but the painful cramp should go away quicker.

I'm tired, I don't think that made any sense.

Miss-buggy said...

No Cari, that made sense.
It is now Sunday and it feels much better. I have uped my water intake too.

Chastity said...

That has happened to me several times during this pregnancy; it's terrible. No one ever warned me that the cramps during pregnancy would be that bad.