Monday, September 05, 2005

"THE" Debate

Mid Wife vs. family doctor.

Ok. This may not exactly be the great debate but in my little world at this particular moment it is. Do I go with my family doctor or a mid wife??
My family doctor knows my past history and all the medications I have had to take. But on the other hand he is a male.
I have heard mid wife appointments are like an hour long. They are women. They would understand more of what I am going through and it may be easier to talk to them. But they can't perform emergency c-sections or use the vaccuum.
I asked Phil what he thought and of course, being a male (no offense guys), he doesn't know but he did suggest that I can do a blog and "poll" people's opinions.
Then if I go with a mid wife would my doctor still see me and the baby after birth? Or would I have to find a new one? Is there such thing as a Christian mid wife while I am at it?? That would be cool. My doctor isn't Christian as far as I know. He is a indo-canadian with a very strong english accient and a good guy. But maybe a woman would be better?
Hmmm... sounds like I am already leaning one particular way. What do you guys think???? The polls are open.


Hey!! Thanks Susie!! I saw the poll on your blog and found out how to use it. This should help!! Thanks!! ( I am not sure why the top is so long but it is, you get the idea though)









My Ballot Box


Mid Wife or Doctor???

Mid Wife
Doctor


View Results

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Just thought I'd answer a few questions from my experiance. The midwives send a request to your Dr for your records. So they have all your information as well. They also spent almost a full appointment going over my history with them. Any concerns ect. All appointments are an hour until the last month when you are going everyweek then they are 30min. They works closly with Doctors. There is always a Dr on call for any complications that arise. Your family Dr will still see you after the birth because you do not cease to be a patient. At least that's what mine told me and we both see the same family as before. I'm not sure about christian midwives but I know only a few are licensed at each hospital to do deliveries there.

I did alot of research before choosing to go with the Midwives. I talked to people who had used midwives, Dr's or both. I looked up how much schooling they had, what they could and couldn't do. I even asked my Family Dr and the Dr whom I got referred to for pregnancy. Both spoke highly of midwives and encouraged patients to go that way if they were interested. They said the midwives had more time and were very specialized with is good. One Dr actually worked with the midwives in abby, taking referals if the midwives wanted a Dr's opinion on anything.

Anyways, this is just my experiance and I'm sure many have had good experiance with Drs. If you are even the smallest amount interested you should call them soon because they book up quickly. They only take a certain number of women per due date month. So that they have enough time for everyone. The first appointment is just to talk with them and decide if it is right for you. It's just meeting them and information. No pressure at all. You decide after that if you want to continue. You have to decide what is right for you, and your family.

Can you tell what my vote was?

Michelle said...

I ment we still see the same family dr as I did before the pregnany.

Also another deciding factor for me was that they had been practicing for 6 years doing an average of 8 births a month. I decided they probably had more hands on experiance than my Dr!!

James Goudie said...

I must be in a different world. i never thought about that choice. didn't even really know there was a choice haha

i guess it was never something that came up at work in general chit chat

shari said...

It's such a personal choice, Misty. You have to do what makes you most comfortable because the last thing you need as you go into labour is doubts about your care.

For me, its doctor all the way. I have had very excellent doctors who cared about me and the baby and really listened to me. I know women who had both great experiences with midwives and not so great.

So keep asking your questions and go talk to a couple different midwives and your doctor, or even a different doctor... don't let anyone else tell you that one way or the other is better, cause like I said, its a very personal choice and it YOUR labour and baby, no one elses!!!

=)

shari said...

oohhhh.... Liz has done both... she would be a good one to talk to. And I am sure there are others!!