Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Stranger Danger

As children that is one of the first lessons we are taught. Don't talk to any strangers and be very cautious of them. Some of them are dangerous. So we listen to what we are taught. Then it even leads over into our adult life. I thank God that Jesus was willing to talk to some of these strangers that we instinctively turn our backs on.

Today on my way back home from Mission to Abbotsford we were on the Horne street on ramp that takes you up to the bridge. The traffic was backed up and my friend and I were wondering why. As we approached we saw an older man wandering in the middle of the street. Out in the hot sun. No shoes. A limp. Long sleeved shirt and pants. Sweating.

My societal instinct told me to keep going but an overwhelming urge of feeling for this man over took me. Just behind him was someone following to make sure he didn't get hit by any cars. She had her blinkers on. So, I called 911 and followed as well. I felt compelled to pray. So I asked my passenger if it was alright. I was told of course it was. We prayed. We felt for him. We said amen. Followed him a little more and then he stopped. Looked ahead and turned and sat down. Now that was God!! If he would have kept going he would have definitely been onto the bridge. God stopped him and turned him around.

Nothing about the man looked threatening. I asked if I should go over to him and was told that it is up to me. I felt that I needed to. I reached into the back seat of my car and grabbed the bottle of unopened water that I was saving for work. It was slightly warm, but I was going to offer it anyway. What Would Jesus Do right?

So as I pulled over my car and got out I hesitantly looked at him. Stranger danger I thought. But then I thought, it is ok. God wants me to do this. So slowly I walked over to him and asked him if he would like some water. He did. I gave him the bottle and he kept thanking me. I sat next to him and talked. Got him up and over the barrier into the little amount of shade that was cast by the lamp post. I sat with him while we waited for the ambulance. The other lady that pulled over waited too.

I asked his name and asked him if I could pray for him. He told me his name and told me I could pray for him. I asked for help to pray from someone with a wonderful gift of the ability to pray fiercely. Now I am asking you. I am not going to give his name. Just asking that we pray for the man that seemed so lost. That seemed so lonely.

I am not telling this to look for a pat on the back. Far from it. I am telling this because I feel like I need to. Debating on posting it is running through my head.

I really got to thinking that Jesus took the chance on all those other strangers and it made all the difference. I took a chance to be nice to a stranger and show God's love just by being there. He may never remember it but it will be something that I will never forget.

Thank you God for opening the eyes of my heart. Thank You for helping that man today and for stopping him. Thank You Lord for Your ever faithful presence. I lift him to You and ask You to heal whatever may be troubling him. In Your name. Amen.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I thank the Lord that there are people like you and that other lady around who care enough to stop and make sure he was going to be ok. I'm glad you care!!

Sue said...

I thank you God for people like Misty who are willing to listen when you call. Please be with this man.

shari said...

Thank you God for Misty and other people who care for your people. Please take care of this man, and grow the seed you help Misty plant in him.

Erin said...

God bless that man for the troubles he's facing. Bring him peace and comfort in You, knowing there is still goodness in the world that was shown by Misty that day, in your name Lord, Amen.

Great thing you did Misty, God must be so proud of you.