Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Blessing and a Gift

*WARNING* With this post being written by a nine and a half (and there is such a thing) month, hormonal pregnant person it may come across pretty sappy. It is totally from the heart though. So, with that being said; those of you who don't like sappy things stop here. (hehehe)

This is about my husband. I think that he is one of the greatest blessings that God has ever given me. God has blessed our life, to the point where I notice each and every thing more and more each day. But I must say that one of the greatest blessings He could have ever given me comes in the form of my husband Phil.
Yesterday morning at one am I awoke to the freakiest feeling ever. I was laying on my side, the only position comfortable this late into the pregnancy, when my mind started to play tricks on me. Laying there I felt like I was hallucinating. My arms felt like they were as big as my head and my fingers felt like they were these huge sausages. The room was bouncing in front of me. I tried re-closing my eyes only to have the sensation feel even worse. Tried opening them and still the feeling didn't pass. I lied there trying to fight it for almost twenty minutes. I lifted my head off the pillow and felt like I was about to throw up or pass out. So laying my head back down I cried out to Phil. Sound asleep next to me I kept whispering his name. The feeling intensified so I had enough and just said his name out loud he woke up and asked what was going on. I explained it. He suggested going to the hospital. I cried. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I had been there enough lately. It wasn't labor but whatever it was kept freaking me out. He let it go for another five minutes or so, asked how I was and when I said no change he suggested at least calling L&D. (labor and delivery) So he got up and got my phone. I called and explained what was going on hoping she could give me a home remedy of sorts to get through it. She said, "I can't make you come in but I highly suggest it because it sounds like high blood pressure." They wanted to make sure mom and baby were ok. I tell you...if I wasn't pregnant and had a little life to be concerned about I would have stayed home. So, once again...we got dressed and headed to L&D. I was scared. Phil was my rock. Held my hand, guided me every step of the way.
Here he was as tired as me and yet he went into this mode where the only thing that mattered was me and his son. Went up to L&D and they set up the machine. My BP was ok. The baby wasn't moving as much as they would like him to be though. So we tried the apple juice and it didn't wake him. I told her to get some really cold water and that would do it. The room was spinning all around me. I felt like I was going to throw up. The nurse walked in with the water and I drank it. Minutes later he was moving and although I couldn't feel it the monitor showed it. She was amazed.
Now, because they still couldn't figure out what was happening they called my doctor and she suggested giving me a sleeping pill and she would come by in the morning. The nurse came in and gave me my pill. Said that they will let Phil stay in the room with me. I got a private room and Phil set up my bed as well as the cot that he was given to sleep on. Laying on the bed I didn't feel the effects of the pill, baby did cause he was out.
So here is my husband trying to get comfortable on the cot reaching for my hand to reassure me. Holding my hand as I fell off to sleep. Concerned about me every step of the way. In the morning he would just look into my eyes and talk to me. The dizziness and the feeling in my arms still there he would say my name. "Misty..." to get me to focus on something else. I would look into his eyes and he would keep talking to me and keep me focused on him. Not on what was going on.
Long story longer...my doc didn't show up and Phil had to leave due to prior arrangements. I could see the hurt in his eyes as he let go of my hand. He lingered at the door said he was sorry and came back over for a kiss. He had called someone to relieve him and he said that was the only reason why he was leaving. I told him to go. It was ok. I was fine and the doctor would be here soon. He left, only to come right back and give me a hug and apologize again.
(It ended up being something viral and I totally feel like an ass for going in...)
I am just amazed at this man that God has blessed my life with. To think too that I am privledged enough to receive this man as a gift from above and even to have his child. Another blessing and another gift that God, for some reason, thinks that I am worthy of. I thank Him every day. Phil and I have been together for 8 years next month and married for 5 in September. I wouldn't trade one day with him for anything. I wouldn't trade this baby for anything. I still get giddy when I see Phil. My heart still does a little dance when he looks me in the eyes and says he loves me. I still crave his hand in my own. God made us ever so uniquely and in my eyes he broke the mold with Phil. Phil will do anything for me. Does all he can for us and I am so thankful.
I just can't find the right words that would emphasize how appreciative I am. I just can't seem to put those words together when I tell God thank you. Lord, thank you for such an awesome blessing and gift in my life. I truly am blessed.

3 comments:

shari said...

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. That is how we are supposed to love one another!!

Glad you ok, too.

Sue said...

Yeah. He's a keeper. Are you feeling any better today?

Radlife said...

It's never sappy to talk about how much you love the person you love. It sounds like you two are truly blessed.
Radlife