Monday, November 24, 2008

God's love

For some reason I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I did NOTHING to deserves God's love. You did nothing, I did nothing. His love is so huge that no matter what we do, what we did or how we feel God loves us. He will never stop loving us. He will hurt with us, He will rejoice with us and He will just be with us.

This weekend I have heard messages of love from two different services and then this morning I got it in a devotional. I really think God is trying to drive the point home to me. I really think He is trying to get it through my thick head. So why is it so hard?

"WE love because he first loved us." 1John 4:19 (emphasis mine)

From the purpose driven life daily devotional today:
"We need to reach a day when we finally, fully understand how God loves us completely and unconditionally. We need to become secure in the truth that we cannot make God stop loving us."

Wow! You mean no matter what I do He will always love ME! I won't do anything that makes God disown me or cut me off from His family? That truly amazes me. Growing up you are always worried about doing something wrong to the point where you will be cut off from your parents love. I have felt that. Who hasn't? Then to think of God as my REAL Father and think that He won't ever cut me off? To think that I won't ever do something so bad that He will throw in the towel...tell me how worthless I am. Tell me how stupid I am. Tell me that He has given up on me. Tell me that I am not worth His time.
I can't honestly say that I do understand HOW God loves us completely and unconditionally. I just find I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Can YOU wrap your head around it? God gave HIS son because He loved us. He loved the world so much that He gave up His only son. Wow. THAT is love!

So I need to really work on realizing that He loves me no matter what. That He will ALWAYS love me. It frustrates me that I find this so hard to wrap my head around. Why?
Apparently I am perfect in His eyes. The way I look I am perfect. (I find that hard to believe). But in essence if I insult myself am I not insulting God and His love for me?
Wow.....no one said this would be easy. When am I going to learn...

No comments: