Monday, October 24, 2005

Pastor Appreciation

You know what the month of October is? It is actually Pastor/Clergy appreciation month. I have been guilty of not telling the important pastors in my life how grateful I am for them. Each one of them.
Now, this is all my own opinion so don't anyone go getting their panties in a bunch.
I have been seeing, hearing and reading a lot of things over the last month. Negative things about being a pastor and positive. I do not know what it is like to be a pastor because I have not been priveledged enough to feel that God has called me to do that. One day He may call me. But for now the ones that I have grown to love and appreciate amaze me enough. They were called by God to do His work. I feel like it is just that. That God is using them in a way that only He will understand.
I have a lot of admiration for pastors. Mind you I will never place them above God. Cause only God is first. The sad thing is that I have seen many do just that. It becomes an individuals chruch rather then God's church. When did we go so wrong?
I was listening to Praise one day and they were talking about this. That unfortunately a church will place the leaders on high pedistals. When they fall the church falls. They were saying what would it be like if we didn't do that and we placed God up there where He needs to be. Realizing that it is His church and these are the people that He calls to help Him do the work He wants to be done. They may be there for a season or a life time. But ultimately it is God's decision.
From my point of view being a pastor is tough. Expected to be there for someone 24/7. Called to the side of someone's death bed. Sitting to have a coffee with a confussed believer. Offering a couch up to someone that is so lost in the moment. Clearing their schedule to be there in the time of need for someone. They are there in the good moments and the bad. I can only imagine what kind of stuff they help to battle. I have had help with battling from someone dear to me. It meant all the difference. Just being there can be the best thing they can do for anyone. It doesn't pay enough. But the rewards do not go unnoticed. You can see it in the eyes of those they have helped to understand Jesus. That they have guided through tough spots and fought the battle with and won.
I appreciate my pastors. Probably more then they will ever know. While I appreciate them I know that God has them here for the reason. They are willing to do the dirty work. The behind the scenes crap that most of us couldn't even imagine getting into.
Thanks to my pastors. Thank you God for calling them into the position that you have designed for them.

2 comments:

Susan Kirchmayer said...

thank you, misty. for your kind words.....

Apostle John said...

Thanks for this post on Pastor Appreciation Day.

By the way, the Proverbs quote you have on your blog -- it's the very same one I will be using later today with a funeral involving a suicide -- lots of people are trying to lean unsuccessfully on their OWN understanding.