Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A week I never want to go through again - Part 1

Some of you may already know what I am about to write about. Some of you may not. Some of you may want to read this and some just don't want to be bothered. That is ok though. I am not only doing this to let you know what happened in my life this past week but so that I also have a record of it for myself. Although I highly doubt that it is something I will ever forget.
The following may be too graphic for some - reader discretion advised.... (hehehe)

Let me place the scenes.
First thing Wednesday morning. Phil and I just woke up. I was feeling nauseous. Nothing new though. This time I barely made it to the bathroom. I threw up whatever was in my stomach and as you can imagine there isn't anything there first thing in the morning. Yet I still wretched. That put up a little red flag in my world. I know some of you may be thinking, well it's about time. Welcome to being pregnant. But this just didn't feel "right" so to speak.
I went back to bed. Woke up later and went to work for noon. Still felt sick and barely made it to the toilet there. There went breakfast. And there is just something wrong about throwing up into a public toilet. I kept wondering how clean it was. Whatever I went about my day. Tried to keep up at work. Around 1 o'clock or so my back and under my ribs on my right side started to ache. Thought it was from getting sick. I couldn't hold anything down. NOTHING!! Not even water.
Out of concern for the baby I phoned my OBGYN and asked her when I need to start being concerned. She phoned me back and said that if I continue the day without keeping anything, even water down then I need to head to the hospital. By 4 o'clock my back was in so much pain. I could barely move. Up under the ribs. I asked if I could go home. They asked if I think I could push through until my shift ended at 8. I said there was no way. So they told me to do my last delivery then I could go home.
Sounds simple enough right? A delivery that should take only 30 minutes. But in case you didn't know that was the day most of Abbotsford was shut down due to a tanker spilling 50, 000 liters of gas. So had to do the back roads. I knew these tricks by now. Well, I guess everyone else knew them to. What normally would have taken a half an hour took me TWO HOURS!! Two hours in tears holding a zip-loc bag to my face so it will catch everything. Crying out to God. Praying that I will get to the shop soon. Two hours of pure hell.
I am on the phone with Phil and he wants me to go straight to the hospital. After all we have a baby to worry about. I thought it ws nothing and I could just go home. I am glad he convinced me though.
Turned the corner onto Clearbrook. Just about back at the shop.... Once I got in the clear it was petal down. I know, bad delivery driver. I got to the shop in tears. Just streaming down my face. I asked for someone to help me unload the truck cause I needed to get to the hospital. The shippers face dropped and she said, go, we will do it. Can you drive. I told her that I had no choice but to drive.
So to the hospital I went. Started checking in while trying not to throw up. Asked me all the basics and then I threw in, "I am twelve weeks pregnant." Wow did that change everything! They just whisked me through. Barley able to move they kept their arm on me. Walked me to the next station then gave my little urine sample. Then walked me to a bed. Now checked into the hospital and lying down. Scared as anything. What about the baby? I am in tears remembering this. I was in safe hands now. My priority was the baby. What about the baby. Can barely move my head cause I am so dehydrated.
So the "fun" began. The search for a vein that wasn't shriveled up.
Well that is enough for now. It has taken a lot out of me believe it or not to sit here and write this. I did just get home yesterday. I will continue later. And it only gets more interesting, so to speak. Scarey for me.

2 comments:

James Goudie said...

i saw you in your truck then i think.

Miss-buggy said...

yes you did and at that moment it was getting worse and worse. The friendly smile helped.